Not only can insects be a nuisance in your garden, but they can ruin a perfect picnic or hike. Here are a few totally green, home remedy suggestions to repel insects without using toxic chemicals.
#1 Pepper Spray
This works great for ants and other small pests.
- Boil 2 or 3 cups of water.
- Add about ½ to 2/3 cup of chopped hot pepper. Let marinate for a few minutes.
- Run the mixture thru a sieve to remove the peppers.
- Put the liquid in a squirt bottle and use when necessary.
- Be careful not to spray directly on foliage.
#2 Minty Soap Spray
This is great for ants.
- Mix 2 tbsp of Dr. Bonners mint soap with a gallon of water.
- Spray directly on ants.
This will also work to ward off other pests on foliage however be care when you spray it directly on your plants. It has been known to burn some plants if too much is applied.
#3 Pure Vanilla Extract
Dab a little on you wrists, neck and behind the ears. Many insects don’t like the smell.
#4 Chem-Free Bug Off Mist
- Mix witch hazel with a few drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil, or peppermint oil in a squirt bottle.
- Lightly mist your body.
You can also add one of these essential oils to an unscented organic lotion for a bug repelling moisturizer.
#5 Lavender Works Mosquito Miracles
Stop the bites!
- Rub a lavender flower behind your ears, wrists and neck.
- Not only will you smell great but mosquitoes will leave you alone.
We don’t need to use spray’s and harmful chemicals to keep pests away. There are plenty of natural, chemical free solutions to control bugs this summer. Go greener, our planet will thank you!